Monday, August 21, 2006

FO Report: Ribby Shell

Friends,
It's been so pleasing to me to finish this project. This is a project that I've absolutely loved and I adore wearing it. It is a Ribby Shell from the inimitable Bonne Marie. This is really one of my favorite patterns and I can see me making more of them. I can see 2 or 3 yarns I have that this would be perfect in. Especially some of the Elann yarns they're always having on sale for the summer, hmm.

This pattern does give you options as far as a flat front version with ribbing on the sides, or allover ribbed. I opted to make the flat front version and I just adore it.
Also, I played around with some features of my photo editing tool, so today you get sepia tone as I liked the result. Plus, the lighting when the pictures were taken pretty much sucked, so I think makes a nice difference. And the yarn was a crisp, cream color that pretty much shows through. When I get home, I'll upload a pic in color just to show the true color, if anyone cares.
Ribby Shell from the front:


And the back view:


Project specs:
Start date: June 9th-July 29th
Yarn used: Classic Elite Believe (cream color)6 skeins
Version: flat front, ribbed sides, 39" size
Needles: Size 7 (4.5 mm) needles
Notes: I loved, loved, loved this pattern. It was very clear and easy to understand. It is also well fitted and I'm very excited about that as well. I'm usually not a fan of bottom-up patterns, but this was simple and easy to do.

I put it down for a few weeks to do the V-neck shaping, mainly because I was knitting it at work and it's hard to pay attention to any details in between taking phone calls and I did have that period of insanity while knitting Seraphim that I couldn't knit anything else because I was so engrossed with it.

The only change I would make to the pattern, is that once I got to the back and the v-neck straps on the front, in future versions, I would leave those stitches on holders for the shoulder straps so that I could do a 3-needle bindoff. I'm not a fan of backstitching at all, so it's purely a personal preference, that and the fact that I completely suck at doing it. I've already worn it once and look forward to doing so again. This is something that is wearable for work as well as play and definitely doesn't look "hand" or "homemade". The yarn was interesting to work with, as it is a cotton/viscose blend and the yarn has funny slubby bits. I like how it worked up, but the slubs were a pain to knit with. I'm very pleased with how the pattern worked up and the yarn paired with it. I believe this yarn has been discontinued. I'm glad I chose this pattern to knit with it, as I believe seaming with this yarn would not have been pleasant. The slubs lend a bumpy quality that would have been difficult to seam with. Sewing in ends was already challenging.

Next up will be the knits I'm currently engaged in knitting. And there is more lace too . . .

No comments: