Friday, January 09, 2009

'09 Knitting Resolutions

As I mentioned last year, I'm no longer doing knitting resolutions, as I am doing monthly goals instead. This year I signed up for NaKniSweMoDo . Yes, I know a collective gasp of shock has rippled through the crowd. Although I didn't finish a ton of sweaters for 2008, I'm using NaKniSweMoDo to motivate me to turn many of the sweater yarn amounts I have into sweaters. One of the main points of this idea that I embrace is turning WIPs into FOs, as well as counting vests and tanks for adult-sizes as finished objects as well. These points work well for me and I'm motivated to do it. I've been planning some various sweater projects.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the fastest knitter around, although I do okay. But I am fairly persistent with knitting and even enjoying the long slog of some sweaters. My main goal is to end up with more sweaters that what I started with. My goal is 12, but if I don't make it, I won't beat myself up about it.
I started out the New Year with casting on for a vest. Last year, I got the bright idea to knit a few vests, as I do actually like vests. I cast on for the Back to School U-Neck on the first of the year and have been making good progress so far. I started out on a 32-inch cord, but it was too long and had to move down to a 24-inch needle. Once I did that, the 2x2 ribbing started flying.
That's the first project on the needles for NaKniSweMoDo project. Here we go!

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

January Knitting Goals/December Knitting Goals Wrap-Up

In December, I  postulated what I expected to complete that month. Those results were semi-satisfactory. 50% of my goals were accomplished.

As mentioned in the previous post , I completed the Sister scarf, as well as the Good Luck cowl. The Ribby Pulli sweater is still going strong. I worked on the yoke, but realized that apparently my row gauge was different than the pattern called for. After I completed my decreases, I still had 4 inches of knitting to do, for the sweater to fit correctly. Once done, then I had to pick up a zillion stitches around the neck for 2x2 ribbing. However, I did not pay attention to the amount of stitches I was supposed to pick up. With Bonne Marie's  patterns, I should already know that she is very thorough. I just picked up stitches and didn't count the number that I had. I'm sure I had far too many. When I finished the neck, I was so happy that I wove in the ends, my first mistake, and tried it on Big disappointment, as the neck is too floppy, which makes the sweater not wearable.

Darn it all, but I'm sure once I get the rip the neck and redo, I'll be on the right path. This sweater really does not want to be completed. Or rather, I guess I get the pleasure of knitting with Silky Wool a bit longer.

I never even made it to working on a hat at all. I really need to get on it. It's been pretty cold here lately, so you would think I would be motivated. Lately, I've been in a mood of casting on. Startitis has been going around in these parts.

Knitting goals for January:

1. In the spirit of keeping warm, I should knit myself a hat. Hopefully with leftovers from my Malabrigo Ruffles scarf.

2. Finish M2's candy corn socks. I'm on the second sock and have finished turning the heel and picked up the stitches. I've finished the increases and just straight knitting on the foot. Hopefully I should be able to finish them this month. I'm ready to cast on a pair of socks for me.

3. Continue to make progress on my new vest project.

4. Cast on for a second Ruffles scarf.

Sunday, January 04, 2009

The End of 2008

A lot of people are doing end of the year round-up posts. This year, I don't really feel up to it. I've been off work since Wednesday evening and haven't done much except knit. If the spirit doesn't move me, I decided to just not worry about actually doing it. I have a couple of projects that were finished in 2008 and thought I'd blog about those instead.

None of these projects is actually modeled, but at least there are photos and that'a saying a lot right now.

I was working on a scarf for my sister. It has been completed, but still not sent out. Bad sister, I know.

The pattern is Tipsy Rib scarf, pattern here , courtesy of Flint Knits 
I love the pattern and the yarn. The yarn felt reasonably soft in the ball, but knitting it was an even better experience. It has a very pleasurable hand. I think my sister will be pleased with the yarn. And what made it better is that my sister didn't want a very long scarf, which made knitting it go much quicker for me. I like scarves, but the monotony of scarves gets to me after a time.
Next up, a couple of cowls were finished. I'd mentioned the Good Luck Cowl  before. It's been completed, as well as blocked. I love the finished product and the yarn that I used for this. I do feel that I should have widened it by adding a repeat to make the circumference bigger. If I get to making another one, then I will do so. With this pattern, I used Lonesome Stone Mountain Feat yarn in the Shimmering Desert colorway.

The last cowl knit was the Gloria Cowl . This is obviously a simple and easy pattern. Just stockinette and using sock yarn doubled. I used more of my sock yarn "collection" of Red Rocks Fiber Works in the Blasted colorway. Love this colorway. Not so sure of this cowl. Actually, I don't like the cowl at all. I cast on the amount of stitches the pattern called for in version 1, but then increased to 110 stitches. This would have been fine, if I were still knitting in sockweight yarn. But once I doubled it, I did not need it to be this wide, so it's too wide. I may rip it at some time and reclaim the sock yarn for socks. Once I knit with it, I really liked the colors. For now, the yarn can "rest" in the cowl, until I'm ready.

I'll be back soon with status on my December goals, my January knitting goals and resolutions, if any.