Friday, April 06, 2007

Here Harlot, There Harlot, Everywhere a Harlot

I didn't think about it until yesterday, but I never mentioned the Harlot's visit. She finally came to town to launch her latest book. Thankfully the Harlot arrived to Denver with no problems. Her talk was to begin at 7:30 p.m., but one lady arrived at the Tattered Cover at 7 a.m. That was one obsessed knitter!

Here's the view of the room from the speaker's stand:


It was a great night and I got to see some knitting friends that I don't see very often, such as Kristi, and Imbrium which it was very nice to visit with them while waiting in line.

Once we got inside, we had some time to kill before the Harlot actually came in to speak. One person noticed another knitter knitting Eunny's Entrelac socks from the last Interweave and told another person there she was knitting her pattern. The her was none other than Eunny Jang! Peoples, this made my day on so many levels! I adore her work and I'm thrilled that she is going to be the new editor of Interweave Knits. I went over and introduced myself (gee, when I say that I am shy in social situations, I'm not really sure when that is? Around knitters, I seem to not have this problem) and she asked me my name. About 15-20 minutes later, she asked me my blog name and she remembered seeing my picture or blog name, I thought that was pretty neat. While I gushed to Eunny for a little bit, I had to bring myself back under control. Eunny seemed very sweet and a bit overwhelmed by the amount of popularity and excitement that she engenders. Joanne told her she needs to get used to being a celebrity. Of course Joanne gets to take a cruise with Eunny in 3 weeks and will be taking a number of classes with Eunny! I'm so jealous.

I also managed to get a pic of myself with Eunny (How cool is that!):



And one of our "local" knitting designers came for the Harlot talk,Tara Jon Manning. Below she is pictured (on the left) and on the right, is Amy Clark Moore, editor of Spin-Off magazine.



The Harlot is even funnier in person, if you can imagine. When she walked in, there was a round of thunderous applause and cheers and hollers. The Harlot is a rockstar, y'all! And there were over 200 knitters that made it out to see the Harlot. It was such a pleasure to be out to hear her and also be amongst my "people", those who understand this crazy knitting obsession. It was such a treat to hear Stephanie speak. Finally I had my chance to meet the Harlot and have a couple of books signed, one for a friend who couldn't make it. While speaking with her, she remembered my blog. I was quite happy to meet the Harlot in person and have a few words with her. Of course, I had to take a picture with her sock and mine:



A picture of the Harlot's Bohus. It is quite gorgeous in person and she wore it for part of the time and then had on the best T-shirt underneath it.


And Joanne, the Canuck in Colorado, brought Stephanie some custom-made M&Ms in blue and pink that read, Knit, Purl. Stephanie thought that was the coolest thing ever and had to have a picture with Joanne, the sock and the M&Ms! Joanne came up with the best gift!


It was great fun and I'm so happy I was able to see the Harlot in person. If she ever comes to your town, don't miss it!

No comments: