Thursday, October 12, 2006

Sweaters, sweaters, sweaters

I started to post about some FOs that were finished recently, but decided to leave it. I recently completed a scarf for my scarf pal. And I was pretty excited to get that out. I also mailed out a package to my mom with the shawl I completed for her. I can't wait for her to receive it.

But last night, I was so pleased. I finished the second sleeve to M's sweater. Below, you will see a crappy picture and I apologize for it. I'm ever so happy that the sweater pieces are mostly finished now. I just need to do a 3-needle bind off on one shoulder and then pick up stitches to do more of the twisted ribbing around the neck and then sew up all the pieces. I've decided since other people I know are designating Sundays for finishing, that will be the time to work on his sweater, as doing all the finishing parts will be less thrilling to me. I'm all about the knit, baby! But I'm so happy that I've got time to get this baby all finished up and done, way before Xmas, which is M's designated time to receive it.


I started a new sweater last week or the week before, the ubiquitous Hourglass sweater, using some Jaeger Luxury Tweed in color china pink. I love using this yarn, but the alpaca sheds like crazy. I got tired of trying to make the hem work and just knitted it and will have to deal with sewing down the hem later, oh well. I love how it's working up. The color is really drawing me to it.


I had great plans for Socktoberfest. I planned to make at least 2 socks, w/o mates using Koigu and Lorna's Laces. Yarn for socks that I'd not yet used for socks in the past. But then I had problems finding the right pattern for the Koigu. I tried one, but it didn't work out and then I kept searching, scanning for the right one, but then I ran across one from Knitty and it seems to be going okay thus far. But based on it being almost the middle of the month, I will probably only get one sock done out of Koigu, perhaps two, but definitely not the Lorna's Laces.

Besides, I don't know what I was thinking, there's no way I would really allow myself to start that many pairs of socks without matches. I was thinking I would truly be a Sock Harlot, but as usual, in the end, I reined myself in. I must have been a Puritan in another life. I've been wanting to start a new sweater for myself, that would be knitted in pieces vs. in the round, such as Hourglass. But I wouldn't let me start that sweater until I at least finished the knitting on M's sweater first. It did help me to really finish that last sleeve. I've been itching to cast on for new items lately. Scratching the itch a bit with a sock is nice, but what I'm really waiting for is to start on the Zip Cardi in Berroco Uxbridge Tweed, as well as another Clapotis using some of the Brooks Farm Limited Edition yarn I picked up at Estes and I'm thinking new lace, the Swallowtail Shawl using some of the KnitPicks Alpaca Cloud I received from Amanda. Rather than using just one skein of lace weight, I've decided to use 2 skeins of laceweight doubled to knit it, just to make it a tad bit heavier. I can't wait to knit those nupps!

So as you can see, I have dreams of lots of new projects. The reality is that lately I've only been knitting 1-2 projects at a time, which means that I get a lot more done quicker, but I think a girl needs a little more variety. Oh and I forgot, it seems that all my knitting for others is done for a little bit. I have some babies I'd like to knit for, but thankfully those don't take too long. Yay for selfish knitting!

See ya later . . .

No comments: