Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Socktoberfest Sock

Socktoberfest has been for me, an exploration of different sock yarns that I've wanted to knit with, but haven't gotten around to. One of those infamous sock yarns is Koigu. As much as I love the colors, I bought some sock yarn earlier this year in a colorway P303 that I just adore.




I'm using the Thuja pattern from Knitty, but adapting for the yarn I'm using. I originally tried a different pattern with the Koigu and used 70 sts, which was just ridiculous. I'm knitting Koigu down on sz 1s to create a nice, dense fabric, but it works well for the yarn using only 60 sts. I love this Thuja pattern and am now thinking it can be my default pattern for socks, or at least a good way to knit up some of these other hand-painted sock yarns. I just love it and the ribbing it is really nice. The yarn is so nice to knit with, it's so enjoyable. The tighter, dense fabric feels nice and cushy and soft. While I love knitting with it, I don't know if I will go out of my way to buy it again for socks. I probably will use it again at some point in the future, the only worrisome part is that you don't get much yardage for each skein. Only 175 or 185 yds, which is a bit skimpy imo. I kept worrying about running out of yarn, but I don't usually make the leg of my socks very tall. With this one, I knit the leg to only 4.75", which turned out to be perfect and is just the right height. I can't help the length of my foot as I wear a size US 10 in a ladies shoes, so I wanted to have enough and I did with some yarn to spare, but it was a bit nerve-wracking. And no, I'm also not interested in knitting socks toe-up. Cuff-down has been quite favorable to me.

All of that to say, I now have 1 completed sock and have cast on for the second one. I may not get it done for Socktoberfest, but I will try. I can't wait to have this pair of socks done and ready to wear.

No comments: