Friday, November 17, 2006

What's Happening Pussycat?

I'd planned to blog way before today, but time just got in my way. And now, I have a post with no pictures. But I felt compelled to blog, so here ya go. I took out my camera to take some pics last night and my batteries died AGAIN. I really have to search for a charger for this camera, b/c what I have with the batteries is getting really old. The camera took the pictures, but then it shut down and now my pics are trapped on my dead camera, so there.

Lots of knitting progress has been happening. I finally finished the second garter stitch scarf out of Patons SWS (Soy & Wool) and I added fringe. The scarf is really a bit too long, but after finishing it, I was ready to wear it and I wrapped it around my neck the next day. Then I realized I didn't know what I was thinking when I thought I would keep this scarf, b/c the stuff sheds like crazy. It did already when I knitted it and then it just got worse while attempting to wear it. The issue isn't so much that it sheds, but I can't wear it around my neck, because it would shed on my hair and leave lots of lint to be collected by the ends of my locked hair. So it's outta here. M kept commenting as I fringed it, how that would be a nice gift for someone other than myself and I was so cocky, that this scarf was to be mine. Yeah, well, apparently not. I told him that he is a jinx on my knitting.

Secondly, I finished my monster Clapotis. I received some additional yarn from Mim. She was such a lifesaver. I saw that she'd been knitting socks out of the same yarn, as she was at Estes this summer. She ripped hers out as she didn't like the pooling on it. I inquired about a possible swap and it was arranged. That saved my hide as this Clapotis is eating yarn. So I finished it Thursday morning after staying up to 3 a.m., because I thought I was running out of yarn AGAIN and I could not deal with that. I didn't run out, but I used a goodly portion of yarn and only have a small amt. leftover. This thing is huge.

While beautiful, it's not what I wanted. I'm a bit disappointed with that. It's more like a stole than a scarf at this point. It's really, really huge. I don't love it, but I love the yarn. I'm not sure what I will do with it. One of my friends commented that most of my shawl-type things I've made, I've given away, which is true, except for Seraphim. My mom really liked the alpaca shawl, but it wasn't very large. This thing is massive, but she might like it. Who knows? Right now, I think I could do 3 things with it, 1) rip it out and remake it to the right proportions, but then I'd have lots of leftover yarn. Of course I have no desire to restart it anytime soon. 2) make another Clapotis out of different yarn, but once again, no real desire to reknit this right away or 3)gift this Clapotis and start another one, much, much later. I'm leaning towards option 3.

I'm still making progress on the socks, although since I received the additional yarn for Clapotis, I was knitting almost exclusively on it. I picked up the socks last night, turned the heel and picked up stitches while watching Gray's and Shark. It was nice to not knit something fast and furiously, but just to knit and enjoy it leisurely. While one part of my brain says, geez, these socks have been around forever (although not really), the other part says, there's no hurry for the socks. It's not like I don't have any socks and these Koigu socks really match nothing, but I will love wearing them regardless.

I did finish the second sleeve on Hourglass and have joined both sleeves to the body and now I'm knitting hundreds of stitches while decreasing. I worked a few rounds earlier this week, but then decided that I must finish the Clapotis. I am looking forward to working on Hourglass. While this is my sweater to be completed this month, I decided I'm no longer rushing, but enjoying the knitting of it.

I guess that's it from the salt mines. A new post will be coming over the weekend, but with pictures.

No comments: