Friday, November 03, 2006

The Passing of Socktoberfest

Whew, so it's been a little bit. I could apologize, but I won't. I just didn't feel like blogging, so I didn't. I've definitely been doing a lot of knitting. Albeit, somehwhat crazily. Of course, I joined Socktober this year and didn't finish my socks, although I did finish a pair for M2. They just haven't managed to make their way onto the blog. M2 is too busy wearing them, which is a good thing. They were Ped socks.

Although my Socktober socks are not finished, I haven't stopped working on them. I cast on for the second sock and am a few rows away from starting the heel flap. Everytime I work on these socks, I love them more and more.


What I have been working on incessantly, like a crazed woman is my Clapotis. I love the yarn and the color. I was really wanting to finish it so that I could wear it and use it. One of my knitting girls kept saying how large it was considering I hadn't even starting dropping stitches yet at that point. She was really concerned that I might run out of yarn. I was convinced I was fine, but yet, a shadow of doubt crept in and then I started knitting like crazy to see how much further my yarn took me.



As I knit, I started thinking of the first Clap I knit for my cousin that this one was so much wider and I thought that perhaps I might check my stitch count. Where I should have 107 sts on my needles, I had 171 sts. How could this be?, I thought. But of course, since a lot of my knitting is done at work, I realized that in Section 2, it has you do repeats of rows 1-12 6 times and I must have looked down at section 3 and done the repeats 12 times instead. I even kept a sticky where I marked my 12 repeats, so that's how I screwed it up. But by this time, I was into the second ball of the Brooks Farm Limited Edition "sock" yarn and as Brooks Farm only sells this at shows, you can't get it. And since it's Limited Edition, there's no dyelots. I didn't want to rip, that just wasn't in me. I was already dropping stitches, I just couldn't do it. There is a swap in the works,so hopefully I'll have some more yarn soon to complete it.

I also bought some fun yarn (what yarn isn't fun) that I saw Nachaele knitting with. It's by Patons and it's the Patons SWS, a soy and wool yarn that is feltable. It's really nice stuff to work with and Michaels had it on sale for $5, which was only a dollar off, so no real savings, but I went crazy and bought like 8 skeins, planning to make a hat and scarf set. Well, later reason got the best of me and I realized that I would realistically only make 2 scarves before I would get bored with it. I finished the first scarf, from the colorway Natural Navy and M decided he liked it and kept bugging me for it, till I just let him have it. Sorry for the sideways picture, but I uploaded them in a hurry this morning, so this is what you got. Nothing special, just garter stitch.



Ever since the sweater is almost finished, M is getting a little demanding about the handknits, if you can imagine. First he was happy with whatever I gave him. Then I agreed to knit him a sweater and I had a year to finish it. More on the sweater later. Then as I finished knitting it and just have the finishing to do on it, he remarked that I was going to knit him a scarf, too, right? But when I offered to make him a scarf last year, he wasn't interested in it. Now all of sudden, he sees the yarn I'm working with, which was an acceptable length for him, about 48 inches, he decides he wants it and won't it look so good with his jacket? Next thing you know, I just cave and let him have it, because hey, I won't have to knit him another scarf, right? I'm done. So I'm making myself one now out of the Natural Plum color. Actually it's finished, just need to weave in some ends and I plan to add fringe, because I used some of the 3rd ball, but not much. Might as well add some fringe to make it longer and do something different with it.

Since it's NaKniSweMo, I'll have some more news to add about it this weekend.

2 comments:

Cathi said...

You've been busy!

Anonymous said...

Hmnnnnnnn, men are funny. My dh stored the scarf I made him in the damn glove compartment. As soon as he goes out of town he had the audacity to ask me if I'm going to make him something while he's gone. He's only going to be gone for 4 days! What is that man of mine, smoking?
Furthermore, why ain't he sharing?

Necia