Saturday, February 24, 2007

So-Called Quick Knitting

I never got around to posting about the projects I started last weekend over the holiday weekend that I thought I might get finished. Well, that pipe dream never came to fruition. Although I did start two new projects, not so much are they finished, even a week later. Hmm. So much for that thought.

One of the projects I started was the My So-Called Scarf pattern in some new-to-me, Sheep Shop Yarn Company yarn is colorway F79, should you happen to check out the link. I love the muted brown with copper highlights peeking through. The scarf is a lot further along that the picture below shows as I've had made more knitting time as I would like to finish this scarf.



I have an older scarf, about 4-5 years old, made when I first starting knitting from some discontinued Noro. It was a solid color coppery-brown wool with white angora bits. See the dirty word, angora. I completely forgot about this and wore the scarf the other day as it perfectly matches a brown leather blazer/jacket I have and I love the combo together. Once again, the stupid angora gave me horrible fits and I felt so sick to my stomach, I really thought I was coming down with something. Then it dawned on me (and yes, I know I am slow) that it was the angora in the scarf. Since I knit this scarf so long ago and at that time, I didn't have an issue with angora, it totally slipped my mind that this scarf might have angora or could be a problem when I jauntily threw it around my neck. That sort of hastened my need for a new scarf, although I don't wear them that often. Sort of screwy that theory of "needing" a new scarf, but I do want one and feel the need to wear one with the never-ending snow that is called winter in these parts. I've also discovered that I really don't like long scarves. I'm not one of those people that wants a scarf to wrap around my neck 2-3 times. I'm rarely ever temperate in temperature, always too hot or too cold. Hence if it's cold outside and I've got a wool scarf wrapped around my neck a few times, I will get to hot and rip it off. I like a scarf to crossover my neck perhaps, but not wrapped, or it can just hang down, but not wrapped. The first skein of this yarn yielded 31 inches, but this scarf will not be 62 inches. At last measurement, the scarf was 52 inches, it may make it to 54 inches and then a bindoff and some fringe and this baby will be through. I can't wait.

The second new project is a Rasta Hat from Knitty Gritty. Shannita Williams-Alleyne is the designer of this pattern and I absolutely adore it. I've been working on it in small snatches of time as well. I'm using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran and this yarn is absolutely delicious to work with, so soft. As this pattern requires 8-10 inches of length for the lion's mane of hair I have, I've got a bit to go with it, but I think it will be great. I can't wait to wear this as well!



I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

No comments: