Thursday, February 01, 2007

Something to Talk About

Man, in my head, I've blogged a few times, but in reality it's a been over a week. I guess life just happens. From the last post, you don't have to worry, I haven't lost that knittin' feeling, but just wasn't feeling the love for the baby hoodie sweater. Once I put that down, I started feeling better about knitting some new projects for myself.

After finishing the first Monkey sock, I went back to an unmated sock that I put down right before the crazy Christmas knitting. Back to my Regia Stretch socks again. Now, that I've picked them up again, I'm feeling the love. Plus, when I finish this sock, I'll have a finished pair and that always makes me happy. As I wear my store-bought socks more and more, I find them lacking. Lacking in warmth, lacking in proper fit, heels that sag throughout the day, socks that the cuff is too high, too short, not the right color. Not what I want, just not wool. I do love my wool socks and as I foray into handpainted sock yarns, the colors are so vibrant and pretty and looking at it makes me happy. I know that knitting socks from them will make me even happier.



I am knitting a patterned sock using the cat's paw lace pattern that Wendy charted on her blog a few months ago when she knitted socks from STR in the Lucy colorway. When I saw it, I had the Regia Stretch that was similar to STR but the brown in my sock yarn is much darker. I really like it and am enjoying the lacy pattern in the sock.

Since 2007 is the year of Knitting From My Stash, I've been good with knitting from my stash and haven't purchased any yarn until yesterday. Well to begin with, sock yarn doesn't count as stash, one of my rules. There has been a lot of sock yarn purchased this month. Much more than I would normally allow. At last count, there were 6 skeins of sock yarn that have found their way into my stash. So the stash depletion isn't necessarily working so well.

Another friend is having a baby and has requested a baby blanket. Some of you may know that I don't enjoy knitting baby blankets and the last one I did was for my nephew. Since the mother has specifically requested a baby blanket and knows that I knit, as I am always knitting around them and I see them often, I feel somewhat compelled to knit it and I think I will like the end result, so I am going to do it. I know that I don't have to, I sort of want to. Hence the yarn purchase was for a gift, as I do have yarn that I could have used for a baby blanket, but that yarn is already set aside for a sweater for me (Candy Blue Cotton-Ease). I felt somewhat mollified by the yarn purchase that it was on sale, but I would have bought it regardless since it's for the babe. I do have some lead time on this, the baby's not due until end of May. If I get started sometime this month and work on it sporadically, I should be able to finish it in time. In lieu of a baby sweater, I will probably add a baby hat and baby socks, once the blanket is finished. Not a layette, but an ensemble, if you will.

Lastly, I started another project for myself. Yay, my favorite recipient. The project is the Neckdown V-Neck Shaped Cardigan in Classic Elite '03 Tweed. I really love the color, but the yarn is a bit stiff, but that is the fabric of the yarn as it's a tweed. I can't wait to wear this one.



I expect to have another update soon as I have tragic news for my latest lace attempt. Have a great week!

No comments: