Friday, June 15, 2007

FOs to share

I kept meaning to post sooner, but was thwarted at every turn. I took pictures and then my camera battery died on me while downloading photos. Of course, it was before work, so I didn't have time to wait for the batteries to charge up again. And yesterday, I really wanted to post, but this pesky last minute packing slowed me down.

Yes, I said packing. I am in Atlanta visiting my mom, sister and nephew and I'm excited to be here. Even though, of course, I am missing Estes, *sigh*. The sacrifices one makes.

Anyhow, I finally finished seaming those two baby raglan sweaters. If you can believe it, I knit both sweaters in a period of 4 days. The pattern knits up very quickly and I think it's quite cute, but all of the ends it provides, that and the fact that I added a stripe on the sleeves and the body, just means more ends to weave in. Once I sat down and made myself work on it on Saturday evening and Sunday, it was done. Well, both of them are done. The smaller one in blue was made for a co-worker whose baby was just born (in early April), but now I fear it is too small, so I gifted that coworker with the baby burp cloths.





Baby Raglan sweater from Debbie Bliss' The Baby Knits Book
completion: started mid April '07, finished seaming mid-June (very sad I know)
Yarn used: Cotton-Ease in Cherry Red & Licorice, Candy Blue and Licorice
Size needle: US 7 (4.5 mm)
Modifications: adding striping. In the future, I will have my friend Susan help me modify this pattern to a bottom-up raglan, so I can eliminate some ends. I don't mind seaming a sweater, but on this pattern, it really seems unnecessary to have quite so many seams and so much bulk created by all those ends. I love using Cotton-Ease for baby knits, especially when it comes from my stash too!

Lately I've been on a bit of a dishcloth bender. Some of you may recall that in February, I mentioned that I had a bit o' dishcloth cotton stash. I also mentioned starting a goal of knitting one dishcloth a week. Well that goal never really worked out, but I have still been knitting with the dishcloth cotton as time permits. I love knitting up the variegated ones and watching the colors emerge. After stressful days at work, it's nice to me to knit up a simple garter stitch diagonal eyelet dishcloth. I also love to see a stack of them in my linen closet and know that I made those for our home. Mostly I don't see a need to put up tons of the same type of dishcloth over and over again on the blog, but I found a blogger who has some great dishcloth patterns. She has a series of dishcloth patterns that she called Geometric Lace, with parallelograms, squares, circles and triangle patterns. For some reason, I felt the need to save all of these patterns and I knit the parallelogram dishcloth. Although I do have plans to knit the triangles and squares too. They are fun.



Of the cotton stash I acquired last year (16 skeins), I'm down now to 2. Of course 2 weeks ago, I picked up about 3 or 4 more, but overall, my dishcloth cotton stash is way down. And I do have plans to make more baby burp cloths too. I even knit dishcloths out of my many yards of scraps! I think these are great stress relievers for me to knit and we do use them in our house.

Enough with the dishcloth talk. Not much is going on. I'm in ATL for a week, so I'm going to try to post a couple more times, we'll see how it goes. Have a Happy Weekend and oh, go wish my friend, Stacey a Happy Birthday!

No comments: