Wednesday, January 02, 2008

2007: Knitting Year in Review

It's that time of year, to take stock of the year that has passed and think about what is wanted out of the new year.

Looking through my blog records, I found that of the projects documented, I completed 25 projects, in 2006 I completed 31 projects.

At first, I was a little disappointed that I didn't complete more, especially in the way of sweaters. It seems I only completed one sweater, Ariann. But of course, there was the sweater debacle, which brought down my sweater total.

In case you want to see the run-down of knitting projects:

2 baby burp cloths
4 dish cloths
2 fingerless mitts
4 scarves (Fair Isle Jazz, Farrow Rib, Chevron and My So-Called Scarf)
2 tanks (Ballerina Camisole, Lacy Rib tank)
1 sweater (Ariann cardigan)
8 pairs of socks
1 hat (Rasta hat)
1 lace scarf/shawl(Diamond Fantasy Shawl)


Of course, this year I also went back to school to complete my bachelor's, which cut down on knitting time on bigger projects too. Oh well, I'm not sweater it. It's definitely not a race to compete against myself. And my productivity will probably drop again this year. I'm starting a Master's program in Human Resource Development next week. Fun times, eh?

I also knit a whack of dishcloths and didn't think that anyone wanted to see a bunch of them, as some are quite plain, but they were useful at home, and that was the main purpose.

Looking back on my 2007 knitting resolutions:

1)Knit more socks. The sock yarn stash (as well as other stash) has been thinned throughout the year, but more keeps joining in. My main focus is to continue to knit socks and mix it up with more patterned socks this year. Done, done and done! I knit 8 pairs of socks this year. Pretty good and I'm very happy. Of course, now my sock drawer is getting full, but I'm not complaining.

2) Knit more lace, which should not be a problem as I love it. Eh, not so much. I still love lace. But lace is not intuitive for me, so it goes slowly. I did complete Diamond Fantasy Shawl last year. However, this past year I also cast on for Juno Regina and Hanami, but as the weather gets colder, I'm less inclined to knit laceweight.

3)Learn more techniques, primarily short-rows. I did learn short-rows with Ballerina Camisole, but it can be perfect.

4)Focus on the structure of garments and really learn what looks best on me and not fall for every project which looks bad after. I feel I'm better in this department that I used to be, but sometimes still fall prey to this. Also, just working more on the fit of an item. Each time I knit a garment, I learn a bit more and that's always a good thing. Hmm, not much to say here, still a work in progress.

5)Knit more from stash. It looks like this goal was 50/50. Not too bad, I think. The knit exclusively from your stash for 6 months didn't work out at all.

5)Enjoy knitting, it's not a race and just have fun. Shouldn't be a problem there.

I decided to drop the knitting resolutions for 2008 as I am doing monthly goals instead.

I hope to be back soon with a finished object, or at least WIPs.

See you on the other side . . .

No comments: