Friday, November 04, 2005

I Meme, You Meme, We all Meme

I was tagged by Paula for this knitting meme that's been running around blogland. This is one of the few that I like and can see me actually completing. Here it goes:

What is your all time favorite yarn to knit with?
That is a very hard question to answer. I don't have a favorite yarn per se, but yarns I have enjoyed knitting with are Interlacements Peru, Cascade 220, Gedifra Cordilla. I love knitting with really soft yarns. It's such a treat to knit with soft yarns that glide along the needle as you're knitting. Knitting is such a tactile enjoyment for me.

Your favorite needles?
Addi Turbos all the way. They were actually the first needles that I learned to knit on. A shop here in Denver where I took knitting classes only carries Addi Turbos, so I learned to knit using circulars. It wasn't until I met other knitters that I realized there were other types of needles. I then tried some straights, but realize I don't particularly care for those and got rid of the ones I did have in my stash, but I did keep two pairs of pretty bamboo needles, just cos well, they're pretty.
As far as sock needles go, my all-time favorite are Pony Pearls. Many don't like the plastic needles b/c they say the point of the tip isn't that pointing when picking up stitches, but they suit me just perfectly. I couldn't deal with the bamboo needles as I broke one and I knew I would continue to break them or lose them and for $9 bucks or so, that was a habit I didn't want to keep replacing things with. I also truly hate the idea of possibly getting a splinter, thusly bamboo was not the way to go. I tried aluminum dpns too and they were too slippery for me and very pointy. I was scared I would poke my eye out. That and I like longer dpns, (8 inches, baby), the 6-inchers are just too short and my hand engulfs them.

The worst thing you've ever knit?
I would be hard-pressed to say anything that I knitted was the worst thing, b/c usually the thing that I'm knitting is pretty fun or interesting to knit. although they often times give me fits. However the first thing I ever knitted, a scarf, which is cute, in its own way, but definitely not the best first project. I decided to knit a scarf and I picked out some designer novelty yarn (the first LYS I shopped at is in a boutique-y area of Denver and they carry lots of designer yarns, Stacy Charles, Tahki, etc.) and I don't remember the name of the yarn, but it was something like $12-$15 for this one ball of yarn. I cast on something like 20 or so stitches, all garter stitch, but with the string of black nylon with fluffy bits on it, being knitted on Addi Turbos, it was a recipe for disaster. I was so frustrated with this scarf, I was very happy when it was done.




Your most favorite knit pattern? (maybe you don't like wearing it...but it was the most fun to knit)
I know most say that the poncho is dead, but yet, last winter, I knitted myself one and I love it ever so much. The design is from Hyphen Boy Designs and it is the The Three Point Poncho pattern.




and one of the back:


Last fall, I was determined that I would knit a poncho and I pored through pages of poncho designs, badgered my friends for their opinions and got myself all in a dither because of it. Then I saw this pattern and thought it would make the best use of some handpainted yarn I'd purchased previously. I really loved this particular color of Interlacements Peru, but when I placed a special order for it, 2 skeins of the total 3 purchased, were the color I wanted and 1 skein of it was more pastel-colored and I was very disappointed with it. And this stuff wasn't cheap, each skein was $30 apiece and I had some pastel-colored handpainted yarn that I wanted upchuck on. I was very distressed about it, but yet wanted to do something with the 1000 yards of yarn I had that was good. That was when I decided to use the handpaint yarn for the poncho and whatever was leftover, I would figure something else out.
What I loved about this pattern was how well-written it was and the pattern consists of different bands that created different stitch patterns and you could mix and match them to however you wanted to change the design, if you liked, or you could knit it as written. You did have to sit down and really read out the pattern before knitting, but then it made everything so much easier to understand. I was really pleased with the pattern and the end result.

Most valuable knitting technique?
I would say being able to fix my mistakes (dropped stitches, etc.), learning how to do short-rows, learning to knit socks while I was still a beginner knitter (it helped me alot with increases, decreases, picking up stitches, which I used later in actually knitting garments and such)

Best knit book or magazine?
Hands down, my favorite knitting magazine is Interweave Knits. There are so many inspirational patterns there and I usually consistently buy this magazine over all other knitting magazines.
Book-wise, I adore Sally Melville's Knit and Purl Stitch. There's a wealth of information there and some great patterns as well. The Knitter's Handbook by Montse Stanley is a great compendium of how to do everything in my opinion.

Your favorite knitblogs?
There are many favorites and hard to narrow it down, but I will say that of course, I always read my most favorite girls first.

I also enjoy reading Paula, Sahara, Margene, Lolly and Carola. There are many more, so feel free to check the links list on the right for the rest of my favorite reads.


Your favorite knitwear designer?
My ultimate favorite knit designer is Jo Sharp. I usually like most of her designs and I keep collecting more and more of her pattern design books. Her designs are classic, with a timeless beauty, many that I know I could wear years from now and still not be out of style. Others I like are Veronik Avery, Annie Modesitt, Norah Gaughan and Sally Melville.

The knit item you wear the most? (how about a picture of it!)
Hmm, besides the poncho, I guess I wear my scarves the most. No pics of the scarves as I'm too lazy to go upstairs to take yet another picture. I made a yellow sweater out of Sirdar Rio that was is one sweater that I absolutely love. As well now that I think about, the knit item(s) that get worn the most, are probably my socks. and isn't that the point of knitting socks is to wear them?

;Posted by Picasa





socks Posted by Picasa


and one of the sweater:

Sirdar Rio sweater

And to tag, well, let's say
Carola, Joanne and Michelle.

Next up, pictures of the fully completed Donna and me modeling the Thandi scarf, due to popular demand. (hee, hee, by request of Michaele)

No comments: