Sunday, January 22, 2006

Sweater vs. Cardigan

I've been thinking how many of my sweater projects as of late have been cardigans, although I really prefer to have more pullover sweaters. I've been going back and forth in my head about my next knitting project and whether or not I should do another cardigan or do a pullover sweater. As I'm working on a sweater for M right now, to start another sweater, I am thinking it should be something quick.

My thoughts on cardigans have been, I love being able to take one on and off, especially being in variable climates, such as over-air-conditioned offices, in the basement of my house where I'm always freezing. Those type of areas make me enjoy being able to take a sweater off or quickly put it back on. The dilemma I face is that while I love wearing sweaters, I am fearful that with handknit sweaters I will get too hot wearing them, unless perhaps knitting a dk-weight sweater will give me moderate warmth, but I can't really say at this point. Fingering weight would probably be closest to what a machine-knitted sweater feels like in warmth to me, but I don't have a great desire to knit sweaters on 2s and 3s. So-o-o-o, all of this to say, hmm, not sure which sweater to knit next.

And there are certain sweaters that I will definitely knit, no matter what (provided they aren't bulky) and I have purchased more yarns (not lately, Stash-along of course) that are dk-weight, rather than worsted. Definitely a dilemma, but only in my mind and it's obviously not that critical.

I purchased some yarn in '03, Rowan Cork, which is now discontinued. The color I purchased is called Heather, a pretty magenta color.

Originally when I saw this sweater, Libby, I felt like I had to make it. Now I'm not so sure.


The other choice is Bliss:



Now this yarn knits up on big needles, size 10.5 and 11 needles are those that are called for to get gauge.
Stephanie of A Cunning Plan blog knit the Bless cardi and mentions that the yarn, while chunky, is lightweight. So if I were to make a pullover, it shouldn't be overly warm, despite a (kind-of) bulky knit, which I am usually opposed to. So whaddya think?

EDITED TO ADD, I'm not able to put the blog poll on my blog, as I wanted to, so here is a link to the poll itself. Sorry.
Take My Poll

No comments: