Friday, January 27, 2006

Need some pattern suggestions

Okay, I have this lovely yarn, which is a bright red, with yellows, and pinks in it:



But I will never make socks out of this colorway, while beautiful, it's a bit bright for socks for my tastes. It is sockweight merino yarn, approximately 400 yards. I was thinking I would like to do a small scarf, shawl type thing with it, but as I've not done much lace, I don't know if that's possible with this or not. So I'm looking for something to do with it. Not as if I don't have enough projects on my plate, but this one is special. One of my cousins was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last week and that's been weighing on my mind. There was a Family Prayer Day this week for her and I did of course pray for her well-being and health. At this point, she is 37 yo, she and her husband have been trying to get pregnant for the past 2 years, she had a surgery to remove fibroids and hoped that would help and she's always suffered from endometriosis. Now she's told she will have to have a full hysterectomy and possibly more surgery, if the cancer is operable. This has really affected me and I want to do something, but I'm not near where she lives, so of course my thoughts turn to knitting.

A couple of years ago at a family reunion she asked me to knit her something, it didn't matter what it was, something she could have at her house and that she could take to school (she's a 1st grade teacher) and show them. I never made anything and now I feel I should make something. I think this yarn would be perfect, something vibrant and alive, as how I want her to feel as she struggles with this life and death issue.

So, whatcha' got?

My only thought at this point was the Lace Leaf Shawl, but I don't know if that lace would show up in the bright colors. My other thought (guess there's more than one) was while I was browsing the LMKG book was the Chevron scarf. That's looking like a strong possibility in my mind. All other suggestions are welcome.

No comments: