Thursday, April 14, 2005

I'm So Excited!

And I just can't hide it! (ha!) Sorry to bring up a song there, but I'm so excited about what else? Yarn! I've been lusting after this Debbie Bliss sweater from the current Spring/Summer 05 issue.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I've seen Wendy's finished version and a couple others out in blogland's progess and have wanted to do it. I saw this pattern as one that I would save, but who knew when I would actually make it. I like the Debbie Bliss yarn, but didn't want to drop the money required for the Cotton Cashmere. The yardage isn't that great on the yarn and it's hella expensive. I don't mind spending money on yarn, that's obviously not a problem. But at retail prices, this yarn could easily cost me upwards of $100 or more. But, before you think all is lost, there is/was yarn redemption. Last night I stopped at Strawberry Tree, my LYS. You gotta love a LYS that's on the way home so you can stop in on and visit frequently. I hung out there and picked up the new IK Summer issue, which is ok, but I still wanted the mag. Anyhow, I digress. The point is that they have some Debbie Bliss yarns on sale. Whilst looking at some Rowan Wool Cotton and other yarns to possibly make a baby kimono, I wandered around and saw some Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora and Cotton Cashmere. When these yarns came out last year, I really liked them, but never got to play around with them. It kept resounding in my head, $4/ball, I could do something with this.

When I got home last night and read someone else's blog about Wendy's finished Tennis Sweater, I hopped over to her blog and then it hit me that it was made out of Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere! All last night I kept dreaming of this yarn and this sweater and how it is my Must-Have! I called the LYS this a.m. and have two colors on hold for me. They have enough in two colors, a beige color and a pale blue. So I think I should be ok in terms of yarn and it's only $56, not incl. tax. I'm way happy. And there's nothing I love more than a sale! Wanda loves to save some money, honey!

And just as good or even better, is buttonbuttonbutton! My friend,Joanne asked me if I had a button and I told her no. So she made one! Isn't that cool? So go ahead and take one! You know you wanna. ;-0
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I decided, at least for now, doing the Continental knitting style isn't for me. I'm not against it, but I also have no pressing need to really do it. My knitting is fast enough for me. I'm not doing it to win a contest (as my friend Susan says) and my stitches are pretty even, so learning a different method isn't to correct anything. I did find that there are lots of different methods out there to purl Continental style and a few great websites with videos, so it will be something I try again.

I finished some things, so here are some pics of those:
The baby blanket for my nephew Chason finished
Posted by Hello


to add to the baby blanket, I also worked on a pair of baby socks and a hat, in the picture below you see one finished sock and one in progress, the second sock has now been finished as well
Posted by Hello


And something that's not quite finished, but all I have to do is add the pompom. I found this pattern courtesy of Kittyville sans the kitty ears. I should get the pompom done by this week's end.
Posted by Hello


I also decided since I was making all of these things for my nephew, I should make something for my sister. A person in one of my knit groups was making a nursing shawl for her DIL. That sounded like a good idea and I have some Encore in a neutral colorway that I think my sister would like. My mother seemed to really like this idea as well.

I'm really happy that I decided to not do the Contintental thing, just because I really didn't feel like working on projects in a different manner at this time. I've just been really ready to knit on some new things for me, so I should just get to them! With that in mind, I'm going to cast on for Donna and probably Tempting in the next few days. I will most likely get Donna cast on today. I can't remember what size needles I used to get gauge for the Tempting, so I will have to play around with that one again before I get cast on, but more fun!

Hasta luego!

No comments: